Full-Time Attorney at International Justice Mission (IJM)
IJM is the global leader in protecting the poor from violence in the developing world. Our global team of over 1,000 professionals are at work in over 25 countries. Together, we are catalyzing a global revolution that will rescue millions, protect half a billion, and make justice for the poor unstoppable.
Motivated by God’s call to seek justice for the oppressed, we believe that the way we work is as important as the results we achieve. We are a global community that cares for one another. We value joy and celebration, and we strive to provide professional excellence to all those we serve.
IJM is seeking a talented lawyer to assist in representing victims of forced labor trafficking investigations and seeking criminal accountability for perpetrators of labor trafficking crimes within the project area. This position is based in Accra, Ghana, reports to the Director of Casework, IJM Ghana, and will require some travel across Ghana.
• Advise management on how to operate within the law and minimize legal risks;
• Support police and prosecutors in the investigation and prosecution of child/forced labor trafficking perpetrators;
• Conduct research, brief writing, and oral advocacy on behalf of IJM clients;
• Track case-related data on paper and electronic case tracking management systems;
• Attend and/or participate in all legal proceedings relevant to assigned cases;
• Maintain accurate and updated documentation of legal proceedings in assigned cases;
• Perform legal research and draft pleadings as necessary in assigned cases;
• Ensure legal custody of rescued children for partner shelter and compliance with child protection laws and policies;
• Identify, develop, and implement capacity building programs for the strengthening of the Public Justice System;
• Provide strategic and creative input to the development of programs aimed at system reform within the Public Justice System;
• Monitor legal policy information and developments which are or may be applicable to IJM; and
• Carry out additional assignments as directed by the Director of Casework.
Qualification Required & Experience
• Relevant degree in law;
• Professional Certificate in Law and a member of the Ghana Bar Association in good standing;
• 3-5 years’ experience as a practicing attorney;
• Strong critical thinking, legal analysis, and oral and written advocacy skills;
• Computer literate and proficient in Microsoft applications;
• Experience in criminal litigation preferred;
• Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English;
• Driver’s License preferred; and
• Strong legal research and writing skills.
• Mature orthodox Christian faith as defined by the Apostles’ Creed;
• Willingness to work under potentially hazardous conditions;
• Meticulous attention to detail;
• Disciplined with priorities;
• Patient and able to work well under stress;
• Excellent interpersonal skills, personable, with a heart for service and sustained positive attitude;
• Punctual; manages time and resources effectively;
• Diplomatic, flexible, and mature in judgment;
• Effective team player and leader; and
• Evident passion to help people suffering from injustice and oppression.
How To Apply For The Job
Send Cover Letter, Resume, & Statement of Faith* to:
Closing Date: 29 July, 2019
What is a statement of faith?
A statement of faith should describe your Christian faith and how you see it as relevant to your involvement with IJM. The statement can either be incorporated into the cover letter or submitted as a separate document and should include, at a minimum, a description of your spiritual disciplines (prayer, study, etc.) and your current fellowship or place of worship.
72 total views, 1 today