The accounts payable clerk or officer typically assist with accounts payable processes that ensures that the right payments are being made to suppliers of goods and services in not only accurate manner but also timely with compliance to country specific accounting and tax laws and regulations.
The main responsibilities of accounts payable clerk mainly includes:
- To Process payment cycles for suppliers and also employees promptly weekly/monthly as and when required in a timely manner.
- Making sure all invoices received via post and email are processed theough comapany accounts software in a timely manner.
- Cross checking all invoices to ensure necessary all relevant details to be processed are accurate.
- Prompt processing of local and international payments to service providers.
- Assist companies with country specific tax laws such as VAT compliance.
- Ensure strict compliance to company expense policy by accurate tracking of all transactions.
- Help maintain good business relationships with clients and stakeholders by effective communication in dealing with them. Example when following up of payments.
- Engaged in the support of the evolution of payment processes, financial controls when the need arises.
- Checking and resolving queries from suppliers promptly.
- Routine supplier statement reconciliation’s tasks and making sure all relevant deduction of credit balances on payments.
Qualifications, skills and experience expected are:
- HND with 1 year’s experience in accounts payable or similar Finance role
or degree qualified
- Very strong attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written communication skills dealing with internal and external stakeholders at all levels.
- Good IT skills and good comfortable with Microsoft office packages.
- Working knowledge of any online invoicing system.
From the above job description for the accounts payable clerk or officer, it is evident that it doesn’t differ much from accounts receivable clerk thus as a job seeker for job opportunities, it is essential you acquire knowledge in both areas to increase your chances of landing a job.